Time for some Spring cleaning! Let's get those old and unused prescription pills out of your medicine cabinet. Let's "Take it to the Box!" Bring your unused and old prescription pills to the "Take it to the Box" drop box in the lobby of the Martin County Law Enforcement Center and dispose of your old and unused prescriptions free of charge.
Prescription Pill abuse seems to be on the rise. Please help us combat this abuse by disposing of your unused and old prescription pills this spring!
A permanent prescription disposal box is available as a service to the public in the lobby of the Martin County Law Enforcement Center, 201 Lake Avenue, Fairmont, MN. This project is funded and operated as a joint effort between the Fairmont Police Department and the Martin County Sheriff Office.
· Read and follow directions on all medications.
· Take the recommended dose…not more, not less.
· Take the medicine the number of times and the frequency recommended.
· Do not share your prescription medicines with another person.
· Do not take someone else’s prescription medicine.
· Know the names of your medications and their purpose.
· Pharmacists and doctors can answer your questions about over-the counter medicines…..just ask!
· Keep medicines in a place away from children, teens and guests. Lock up medicines if necessary, especially narcotics or mood altering medicines.
· Keep medicines in their original bottle or package.
· Keep medicines in a cool, dry place away from the light.
· Follow storage directions on the medicine.
· Take old or unneeded medications or drugs to the medication disposal box at the Fairmont Police Department/Martin County Sheriff Office Law Enforcement Center beginning in October 25th, 2010.
· Leave the medicine in its original package or bottle.
· Cross off your name or other personal information. Do not cross off the name of the medicine.
· Do NOT flush medications down the toilet
Information provided by: The National Council on Patient Information and Education & ConsumerMedSafety.org
Citizens are encouraged to dispose of their unused and unwanted medications in the disposal box. Citizens are encouraged to remove their personal information from the medication labels but please leave the name of the medication visible on the label.