Quick Search

Fairmont Information

Fairmont Information

Drug Abuse Help

There is no easy way of telling whether your daughter or son is having a problem with alcohol or other drugs or showing normal growing up behaviors.

A first step in recognizing a problem is knowing what to look for in the behaviors you will see. The list below will show behavior changes that parents should check out if they notice a change. This is not a complete list, and not all behaviors indicate a chemical use problem. You should seek professional opinions if you are concerned.

Has Your Child:

Where can you find help?

You may call any of the following resources and expect confidentiality. You may remain anonymous.

How can the school help?

The school often will start to see some of the warning signs before parents. When the school calls with concerns, work with them to find help. The school has resources or can help you find resources and support for your concerns.

How can the medical community help?

Your family doctor or clinic physicians will work with individuals or families to determine resources to address chemical health issues

How can Law Enforcement help?

Law Enforcement can come to your home to help identify substances or paraphernalia. They will answer questions about a chemical abuse issue, so that you are empowered to get your family member the help they need.

Treatment professionals advise that chemical abusers need fear of a consequence before they are motivated to get successful treatment. Law Enforcement can work with you to document the chemical issue so your family member is encouraged to get help.

Law Enforcement and you, the family member, need to work together to make that happen.

How can Human Services help?

Human Services offers chemical dependency assessments and referrals to the appropriate level of care. When the recommendations are followed, funding can be provided through the consolidated treatment fund. Clients 17 years and younger can access the funds regardless of their parents’ income. Clients 18 and older also qualify if they are a student, unemployed, or if their income meets the state guidelines.

When you choose to enter a treatment facility under your own insurance without first having a county assessment you pay deductible and the co-pay. Consolidated funding cannot be accessed after admission to a treatment facility.

How can the church help?

The church can help in several ways. Churches are pastored by well-trained persons who can offer counseling and support. Many churches have or host support group programs that can provide on-going care. Many churches have trained youth personnel that can guide and encourage your child.

This information is published through the assistance of "Services For Challenging Youth" and " The Healthy Youth Committee."

Help Sources


Please ask for information or assistance for chemical health issues.